- Problem Definition
Formed in face to face classroom (24-28 July 2017), Emerald AACE 2017 team is a new team joined by people with different backgrounds, therefore the challenge is the diverse perspective of each member. This team has 2 objectives which are (1) pass AACE certification together and (2) generate return on training investment (RoTI). In order to meet those objectives, Tuckman Assessment is performed since it can be used to identify the team phase as well as define leadership style.
- Identify the Possible Alternative
Bruce Tuckman publish The Forming Storming Norming Performing model in 1965. This model explains team development phase so we can define which leadership style should be applied.
Picture 1. Tuckman Model
The leadership approaches by Hersey and Blanchard :
- Telling : the leader tell each member what to do and how they would to do it
- Selling : team member still directed by the leader
- Participating : the leader tries to build relationship, really become part of the team
- Delegating : the leader pass most of the responsibilities
Picture 2. Tuckman VS Hersey and Blanchard Model
It is important to know the team phase and leadership style should be applied, with the right leadership style it help the team to increase productivity.
- Development of The Outcome for Alternative
The Emerald team can be in forming, storming, norming and performing phase. Furthermore each team member will give individual judgment by using Tuckman Team Maturity Questionnaire and follow by PERT Calculation P75 for analyzed.
- Selection Criteria
Table 1. Questionnaire Result
Table 2. PERT P75 Result
From table 2 above, it shows the highest rank is Performing Phase.
- Analysis & Comparison of Alternative
Based on table 2, the scores for all phase are similar with some variance. This means there is no clear perspective and the team needs to be directed by the leader, its indicate team development phase of Emerald Team is Storming Phase.
- Selection of the Preferred Alternative
Instead of Performing Phase, the Storming Phase is more appropriate.
The leadership best approach for storming phase is Selling. There is two way communications, but the leader should lead the team how the team plays.
- Performance Monitoring and The Post Evaluation of Result
In order to develop and improve team productivity, improvement of the leadership is the key to enhance team cooperation and comprehension. As feedback, monitoring process should be performed in periodically.
- Clark, D. (2000). Transfer of Learning. Retrieved from http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/hrd/learning/transfer.html
- Chapman, A. (2013). Tuckman forming storming norming performing model. Retrieved from http://www.businessballs.com/tuckmanformingstormingnormingperforming.htm
- Bristoll, H. (2010). Hersey-Blanchard Situational Leadership Theory. Retrieved from
- Rowley, J. (2012). Time Management – Formulas relating to PERT Analysis. Retrieved from