- Problem Definition
Emerald AACE 2017 Team has been formed during five days F2F (Face to Face) session in classroom 24 to 28 July 2017. All team’s member with different background may have different expectation from this project. First assignment is to know stage of team position according to Tuckman Model and to define leadership style.
- Identify the Feasible Alternative
Dr Bruce Tuckman published his Forming Storming Norming Performing model in 1965.
There are four stages of team development introduced by Professor Bruce Tuckman present in the following figure:
Figure 1. Tuckman’s Method
Tuckman’s model explains that as the team develops maturity and ability, relationships establish, and the leader changes leadership style. Beginning with a directing style, moving through coaching, then participating, finishing delegating and almost detached. At this point the team may produce a successor leader and the previous leader can move on to develop a new team.
- Development of the Outcome for Alternative
Emerald AACE 2017 team members shall choose and fill 32 questions survey which are developed by Donald Clark. The group can be either in Forming phase, Storming Phase, Norming Phase or Performing Phase. Delphi technique with P75 used to analysis the data.
- Selection Criteria
A resume after 32 questions has been answered with additional Delphi Technique Tool using P75 probability confident level as shown as below table.
Table 1. Donald Clark Team Survey Result
Table 2. P75 Result with Delphi Technique
It shows result, currently Emerald AACE 2017 project stage is PERFORMING.
- Analysis and Comparison of the Alternative
Result in Table 2 shows that the team has a highest score for Performing Phase. It means that team is committed to performing well, focuses on being strategic, and team runs well with little oversight
- Selection of the Preferred Alternative
FORMING and NORMING Stage can be appropriate alternatives considered negligible score while comparing to PERFORMING Stage.
- Performance Monitoring and the Post Evaluation of Result
Even though the group already in the Performing Phase, Program and Project Managers should monitor how the team performs by regular reporting, tracking against project plans. Another survey could be periodically carried out to check on how the team member perceptions change over time.
- Five Stage Model of Group Development. Retrieved from (https://www.tutorialspoint.com/individual_and_group_behavior/five_stage_model_group_development.htm)
- Tuckman Forming Storming Norming Performing model. Retrieved from (http://www.businessballs.com/tuckmanformingstormingnormingperforming.htm)
- Forming, Storming, Norming, and Performing – Understanding the Stages of Team Formation. Retrieved from (http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_86.htm)
- W1_Andi_Tuckman Assessment. Retrieved from (https://kristalaace2014.wordpress.com/2014/02/26/w1_andi_tuckman-assessment-3/)
- W1.1_DHU_Tuckman Assesment. Retrieved from (https://kristalaace2014.wordpress.com/2014/02/28/w1_dhu_tuckman-assesment-2/)