The WBS is a basic tool in project management. The WBS serves as framework for defining all project work elements and their interrelationships, collecting organizing information, developing relevant cost and revenue data, and integrating project management activities .
GS Project must have standardized WBS component because it can help the project team to deliver project objective with OTOBOS.
Develop the Feasible Alternative
The feasible alternatives to develop standardize WBS as follow:
- NORZOK Standard Z-014 3D-WBS: Standard Cost Coding System (SCSS) edition 2, May 2012. This NORSOK standard describes a system for coding of cost and weight estimates and as-built/experience data.
- OmniClass 3D-WBS: OmniClass is a means of organizing and retrieving information specifically designed for the construction industry. It consists of 15 hierarchical tables, each of which represents a different facet of construction information or entries on it can be combined with entries on other tables to classify more complex subjects.
The author will develop the WBS using OmniClass.
Develop of the Outcome for Alternative
Moine (2013) has developed a 3D WBS model. All of this three dimension projects can be integrated which visualized as figure 1 below:
Fig 1. Project Cubes Concept of 3D WBS Model
The 15 inter-related OmniClass tables are:
Fig 2. Inter-related OmniClass
Analysis & Comparison of Alternative
- GS Project– Zone Breakdown Structure (ZBS).
The term ZBS refer to the tree structure of area, sites or the geographical parts of the project generally. Detail ZBS for GS projects can be extracted by OmniClass Table 13 (Space by Function) which noted spaces for decompose ZBS components, which detail shown:
Chart 1 GS OmniClass ZBS.
Figure 2 GS Space by Function
- GS Project– Product Breakdown Structure (PBS).
The PBS breaks the project into physical elements, products, systems or sub systems. Detail PBS for GS project can be extracted by OmniClass Table 23 (Product) which noted GS facilities for decomposes PBS components, which detail shown:
Chart 2 GS OmniClass PBS.
Figure 3 GS Facilities.
- GS Project– Activity Breakdown Structure (ABS).
ABS is the hierarchy of activities, phases, and sub-activities. Detail ABS for GS project can be extracted by OmniClass Table 31 (Phases) which noted project phase for decompose ABS components, which detail shown:
Chart 3 GS OmniClass ABS.
- GS Project– 3D WBS.
The 3 types of GS project dimension are mixed together to form dimensional cube where OmniClass PBS as x-axis, OmniClass ABS as y-axis and OmniClass ZBS as z-axis, which shown at 3D WBS below.
Figure 4 GS OmniClass 3D WBS.
Selection of the Preferred Alternatives
Based on analysis above, shown that the Omniclass tables give more detailed WBS and can be fully implemented for standardize 3D WBS into GS Project.
Performance Monitoring and The Post Evaluation Result
OmniClass is specifically designed for the construction industry, so use the tables to be suitable for O&G projects is challenging task. It is necessary to keep update the WBS periodically.
- Sullivan, W.G., Wicks, E.M., Koelling, C.P., (2014). Engineering Economy 16th edition. Essex: Pearson Education Limited.
- Ardi, Satria. (2014). W14_SAS_Developing|Soroako AACE 2014. Retrieved from https://soroakoaace2014.wordpress.com/2014/12/12/w14_sas_developing-standardize-omniclass-3d-wbs-for-electric-furnace-rebuild-project/
- Ardi, Satria. (2014). W12_SAS_Developing|Soroako AACE 2014. Retrieved from https://soroakoaace2014.wordpress.com/2014/11/28/w12_sas_developing-3d-wbs-for-electric-furnace-rebuild-project/