- Problem Definition
Besides capital expenditure, one of the cost components which is needed in financial economic model is operation and maintenance cost. Still discuss about offshore regasification facility project, this week I will develop operation and maintenance model for the project. As for the initial stages in building O&M model is determine cost structure. In making the cost structure of a project, the first thing to do is by determining work breakdown structure (WBS). In this week, I will choose WBS standardization between omni class and norsok to be applied.
- Identify the Possible Alternative
There are two commonly used WBS standardization among others:
Both of this standard would be compared and the optimum WBS standard would be choosen.
- Development of The Outcome for Alternative
Table 1. OmniClass Table
The table above is 15 hierarchical that is designed to provide a standardized basis for classifying information. Each of it represents a different phase of project information and every entity can be combined one and another, to build more complex structure.
Moine has developed a 3D WBS model. All of three dimension project can be integrated which visualized as figure below:
Figure 1. 3D WBS Model
Norsok Standard describe a system for cost coding and weight estimates and as-built or experience data. The following is coding system classification of Norsok standard:
Figure 2. Norsok Standard
- Selection Criteria
Cost structure which can be applied from OmniClass standard to O&M model of Offshore Regasification Facility Project consists of:
- Level 1 Table 31 – Phases
- Level 2 Table 32 – Service
- Level 3 consists of several components:
- Table 34 – Organizational Roles
- Table 21 – elements
Figure 3. Table 31 – Phase
Figure 4. Table 32 – Service
Figure 5. Table 34 – Organizational Roles
Figure 6. Table 21 – elements
While the applicable cost coding of Norsok Standard to O&M model of Offshore Regasification Facility Project consists of:
Figure 7. Operational Principles Norsok Standard
Using Norsok standard some parameter must be identified at the first place:
- Operating Concept
- Operation objectives
- Operating environment
- Operating Philosophy
- Choice of technology
- Training and sparing
- Manning and personnel competence
- Production function requirements
- Production operations (general, start-up, shut-down, isolation for maintenance, well testing, well intervention)
- Maintenance function requirements
- Maintenance strategy
- Maintenance engineering (design, organization, programs)
- Inspection strategy
- Analysis & Comparison of Alternative
Both standards can be applied in operation & maintenance model of offshore regasification project. But one of the most optimum methods must be chosen to be applied in this project. Considering that the methods used is top-down and from owner perspective, as well as on business scheme operation & maintenance facilities will be contracted to a third party (ship management) using the Long Term Service Agreement, so the coverage of O&M model consists of head quarter O&M, along onshore receiving facilities and pipeline on site.
Considering it is then the most optimum standard used is OmniClass standard.
- Selection of the Preferred Alternative
Based on above description, it shows that the combination of Omniclass table with 3D WBS is better than the single standard. As we can gain deliverables that can be view from many perspectives. Then OmniClass 3D WBS is considered to be applied for Offshore Regasification Facility Project.
- Performance Monitoring and The Post Evaluation of Result
This 3D WBS is very suitable with condition of current business scheme, so it will have a positive impact on the company for developing it. But also the company need to consider another standard like Norsok as a validation against third parties, or when the business scheme changes, such as the company responsible as a facility operator & maintenance.
- Planning Planet (2017). Creating Work Breakdown Structure.
- Sullivan, G. W. (2014). Engineering Economy 16th Chapter 3 – Cost-Estimation Techniques, pp. 96-98.
- Nunar, A. H. (2014). 1_SJP_Forecasts Part 3.
- Norsok Standard. Retrieved from
- OmniClass Standard. Retrieved from