- Problem Definition
Process Engineer Team has been actively working together for the past 4 years. The challenge of this team is the increasing and complexity of gas infrastructure projects that will be faced. We now want to determine the leadership skills and styles which the group may benefit from as it enters this next phase of the project. Then for this week Tuckman Survey will be applied.
- Identify the Possible Alternative
In 1965, Tuckman published his Forming Storming Norming Performing model and completed with the fifth stage, Adjourning in 1970s. This model explains that as the team develops maturity and ability, relationships establish, and the leader changes leadership style from Directing (Telling), Coaching, Participative, and Delegating up to Directing (Concluding).
Fig. 1 Tuckman’s Team Development Model
Illustration graph of Tuckman Model Group Development Stages is shown in the next figure:
Fig 2. Tuckman Group Development Stages Model
- Development of The Outcome for Alternative
To determine current Process Engineer Team stage, each individual in team fill the excel format of Tuckman Survey Scoring Template.
Table.1 – Individual responses from the Tuckman Survey Scoring Template.
- Selection Criteria
Based on the above individual’s response, PERT analysis was performed to identify team behavior at P90 because these team already join over long time (4 years)
Table 2. P90 Delphi Technique Result
- Analysis & Comparison of Alternative
Based on Table 2, we can conclude team is in Performing stage (indicated by the rank). During this stage, team members often experience:
- Constructive self-change;
- Deep sense of belonging;
- Understanding of each other’s strengths and weaknesses;
- Self-organization of work;
Hints for team leaders:
- Delegate all work that sensibly can;
- Focus on developing team members;
Style of leadership this stage is “DELEGATING” mode where some leadership is shared by the team.
- Selection of the Preferred Alternative
Process Engineer team can achieve more than each team member individually. Being part of a high-performance team can be extremely rewarding, but it requires time and commitment to get to that stage. The team leader job is to help this team reach and sustain high-performance and leader has to adapt behavior and leadership style to the different challenges presented at each stage. The team leader responsibility is to be aware of the challenges the team will face and support the team to get aim together.
- Performance Monitoring and The Post Evaluation of Result
Team assessment should conduct periodically in six months ahead to capture team phase changing and select appropriate style of leadership, this evaluation can help the team to improve coordination and productivity.
- Tuckman, B. (1965). Tuckman’s Team Developmental Model. Retrieved from http://www.focusadventure.com/team-building/gallery/tuckmans-team-developmental-model/
- Michell, Tony (2017). W2_ABM_Folow Up Tuckman|EMERALD AACE 2017. Retrieved from http://emeraldaace2017.com/2017/08/08/w2_abm_follow-up-tuckman-survey-on-spj-offshore-construction-team/
- Irene, A. (2017). W2_AI_Tuckman Analysis|EMERALD AACE 2017.
Retrieved from https://emeraldaace2017.com/2017/08/01/w1_ai_tuckman-analysis-assigment/