- Problem Definition
This Week objective is to select optimum WBS that could facilitate the future Fuel Terminal Development Project.
- Development of Feasible Alternatives
There are 4 WBS that being considered :
A. Current WBS
Built on non-standard WBS that potentially will have a problem during the execution.
OmniClass is use faceted classification. Each table can be used separately or combined with other tables to construct a more complex subject.
Figure 1:OmniClass Tables
These 15 tables can be simplified to the 4 main dimensions.
Figure 2:OmniClass tables–Grouping within family
C. Norsok Z-014
The system comprises of:
C.1. PBS (physical breakdown structure)
Hierarchical structure which defines the physical/functional components.
C.2. SAB (standard activity breakdown)
Defines all resources necessary for the planning and execution.
C.3. COR (code of resources)
Identifies the individual records/items/lines/components/elements of estimates.
Figure 3:Illustration of NORSOK Standard Z-014
D. 3D WBS
Jean-Yves Moine concept of 3D Work Breakdown Structure (3D WBS) with 3 tree structures that compose the WBS:
D.1. ZBS (Zone Breakdown Structure).
In EPC project, ZBS is for the design and the commissioning phases. For construction phase, ZBS is geographical area.
D.2. PBS (Product Breakdown Structure).
Generally, PBS is equipment, material, deliverables, civil works components.
D.3. ABS (Activity Breakdown Structure)
Activities are deployed on products. It is the processes that build products.
Figure 4:Illustration of 3D WBS
- Possible Solution
There are three (3) criteria that have been selected as parameters to analyze and compare the above alternatives:
- Level of details of Offshore facilities, this will explain how detail each alternative in facilitating Offshore facilities requirement
- Complexity, how complex the structures will be
- Work flow of activities, is how the activities work together from the project scope development to the final design.
Lexicography, one of non-compensatory models for multi attributes decision making technique.
- Selection Criteria
Each WBS comparison of the attributes is expressed below:
Table 1 : Summary Information of Engineering Design Stage WBS
Rank in order of importance as shown on table 2.
Table 2:Ordinal Ranking of Attributes
- Analysis and Comparison of the Alternatives
Based on table 2, the ranking is found to be:
WBS Level of details > Complexity > Future optimization > Work flow of activities
Table 3:Ordinal Ranking of Attributes
(a) Rank of 3 = Most Important, Rank of 0 = Least Important
(b) Selection is based on the highest ranked attribute
- Selection and Preferred Alternatives
Considering the above ranking, the Omni Class Table 21 is typically the solution for the Fuel Terminal Project, current WBS need to be adjusted to accommodate the standard.
- Performance Monitoring and the Post Evaluation of Result
Periodically, consistency of utilizing designed WBS need to be review. When further goal is gain the standardization and optimization, then by refer to the second highest rank combination between 3D WBS will give a greater advantage for the Fuel Terminal Project.
- Planning Planet (2017). Creating Work Breakdown Structure. Retrieved from http://www.planningplanet.com/guild/gpccar/creating-work-breakdown-structure
- OmniClass (2017), OmniClass Table 21 – Elements (includes design elements). Retrieved from omniclass.org/tables/OmniClass_21_2012-05-16.zip
- Norsok Standard Z-014 (2017), Norsok Standard Z-014. Retrieved from http://www.standard.no/pagefiles/951/z-014.pdf
- Moine, J. Y. (2013). Retrieved from http://pmworldlibrary.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/pmwj9-apr2013-Moine-3D-Work-Breakdown-Structure-FeaturedPaper.pdf
- W4_RD_WBS Selection
Retrieved from https://garudaaace2015.wordpress.com/2015/03/23/w4_rd_wbs-selection/