- Problem Definition
Formed in face to face classroom (24-28 July 2017), Emerald AACE 2017 team will face the distance learning mode since then. In this phase, the daily work and a lot of tasks must be executed at the same time. To achieve optimal productivity and minimize stress, the workload must be distributed effectively. Susanne Madsen defines 6 tips to manage a demanding workload:
- Ask for help
- Prioritize important over urgent
- Plan collaboratively
- Use the right tool
- Share your concerns
These tips can be applied for control the workload of team project and officer also. However some tools must be performed to monitor forecast and balance the distribution of workload, one of them is workload histogram.
- Identify the Possible Alternative
Workloading histogram is some tools to define forecast workload base on activity, resources and target date. The histogram can showed team member peak and low period. Therefore before the project being late, it could help the Project Manager to take action to sufficient the resources needed and maintain workload team members.
- Development of The Outcome for Alternative
First of all, the activity and target must be defined.
Emerald AACE 2017 project plan will be used for basic calculation of workloading histogram, as follow:
Table 1. Emerald AACE 2017 Activity
Then schedule and time allocation based on each activity would be determined, as follow:
Table 2. Emerald AACE 2017 Schedule
- Selection Criteria
The Workloading histogram based on Emerald AACE 2017 team schedule, as follow:
Picture 1. Workloading histogram Emerald AACE 2017
- Analysis & Comparison of Alternative
To identify additional work hour for each member, this histogram only consider 6 (six) tasks that should be completed during after office hour (exclude classroom session).
Refer to Pic.1 above, it showed each member required 10 hours per week to finish all the tasks on time. In order to fulfill all the works, so our baseline hour (average) per person as follows:
Table 3. Time Frame per Week
With the workload histogram showed, as follow:
Picture 2. Workloading histogram Emerald AACE 2017 (excl. classroom)
- Selection of the Preferred Alternative
Refer to pic.2 above, it shows that :
- The peak time will be at W23
- To reduce the workload (W23), increase the productivity on another week (W14-W17), reducing scope or add man power.
- Blog, Cheat sheet, and problem solving will be executed earlier to decreased the peak time
- Performance Monitoring and The Post Evaluation of Result
Workloading histogram shall be monitor in weekly basis, it will help Project Manager to maintain and monitor team member workload. In parallel, implementing this tools will help team member to manage the workload effectively, increase the productivity and raise the team opportunities to achieve goal together.
- Madsen, Susanne (2015). 6 Tips to Manage a Demanding Workload.
- Fahmi, A. (2013). W2_AFS_Workloading Histogram.