1. Problem Recognition, Definition and Evaluation
A company will install Ultrasonic Gas Metering Station for our project. Is the use of OmniClass 3D WBS can be applied to this project?
2. Development of the Feasible Alternatives
OmniClass is a means of organizing and retrieving information specifically designed for the construction industry. It consists of 15 hierarchical tables, each of which represents a different facet of construction information or entries on it can be combined with entries on other tables to classify more complex subjects. (OmniClass, 2014)
3D WBS is based on three main dimensions: Zones Breakdown Structure (ZBS), Products Breakdown Structure (PBS) and Activity Breakdown Structure (ABS).
Fig 1. 3D WBS
3. Development of the Outcomes for Each Alternative
The 15 inter-related OmniClass tables are: (OmniClass, 2014)
- Table 11 : Construction Entities by Function
- Table 12 : Construction Entities by Form
- Table 13 : Spaces by Function
- Table 14 : Spaces by Form
- Table 21 : Elements (includes Designed Elements)
- Table 22 : Work Results
- Table 23 : Products
- Table 31 : Phases
- Table 32 : Services
- Table 33 : Disciplines
- Table 34 : Organizational Roles
- Table 35 : Tools
- Table 36 : Information
- Table 41 : Materials
- Table 49 : Properties
The tables above can be described in terms of the 3D WBS models as follows:
Fig 2. 3D WBS Cubes and Omniclass Table
4. Selection of a Criterion
Characteristics of the WBS:
- WBS defines output
- WBS is hierarchical
- One WBS level’s output is an input to the next higher level.
5. Analysis and Comparison of the Alternatives
By using Omniclass tables as reference, 3D WBS for the project is as follow:
- Zone Breakdown Structure (ZBS)
- Product Breakdown Structure (PBS)
3. Activity Breakdown Structure (ABS)
Based on the above, it appears that OmniClass and 3D WBS are compatible.
6. Selection of the Preferred Alternative
OmniClass tables give a more detailed WBS and can be applied to this gas metering system installation project.
7. Performance Monitoring and Post Evaluation of Results
Monitoring and supervision should be conducted strictly during project to keep the project inline with the WBS.
- Humpreys, G. C. (2011). Project Management Using Earned Value (2nd ed.). Humpreys & Associates, Inc.
- W16_GW_OmniClass and 3D WBS on Pipeline Installation. (2014, June 15). Retrieved from Kristal AACE 2014 : https://kristalaace2014.wordpress.com/2014/06/15/w16_gw_omniclass-and-3d-wbs-on-pipeline-installation/
- OmniClass. (2017). Retrieved from OmniClass: http://www.omniclass.org/
- Syafri, F. (2013, October 8). Managing Small Project: Omniclass 3D WBS. Retrieved from Simatupang AACE 2014: http://simatupangaace2014.wordpress.com/2013/10/08/w6_afs_-managing-small-project-omniclass-3d-wbs-2/
- Moine J-Y. 2013.3D Work Breakdown Structure Method, PM Word Journal Vol. II, Issue IV–April 2013